Missing teeth are a common dental issue that needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Delay in providing replacement can lead to poor aesthetics, in addition to compromised masticatory function. All this may eventually cause low self-esteem and compromised oral health. One possible solution for missing teeth is a partial denture.
Aliso Viejo general dentist and their team provide superior-quality partial dentures to replace a few or more missing teeth in the upper and lower arches.
What are partial dentures?
A partial denture is a dental prosthesis that helps replace one or multiple missing teeth, thereby solving the aesthetic and functional issue of having edentulous spaces. A partial denture typically consists of one or several false teeth that rest on a plastic or metal base that mimics your gums. Unlike dental implants or bridges, partial dentures are removable and require regular cleaning.
What are the types of partial dentures?
There are two main types of partial dentures, namely:
- Clasp denture: These dentures clasp onto the adjacent teeth through thin, metal clasps.
- Overdenture: This type of denture attaches to the implants inserted within your jawbone.
Who might benefit from a partial denture?
You are likely to benefit from a partial denture instead of a full replacement set if:
- You have only a few teeth missing
- The majority of your natural teeth are in a healthy condition
Partial dentures offer good retention since they seek support from the adjacent natural teeth.
What to expect when getting partial dentures?
Here is a breakdown of the steps involved in getting a partial denture:
- Comprehensive exam
- It helps determine your oral health and the number of teeth missing.
- Removal of tooth fragments
- Your dentist will schedule a minor surgery to remove any tooth fragments like root tips.
- It is usually performed under local anesthesia to ease pain.
- Fabricating the partial dentures
- Once your mouth has healed after the surgical procedures, it’s time for denture fabrication.
- Your dentist will record oral impressions, along with a wax rim try-in to establish a correct bite.
- The dental technician will fabricate appropriate partial dentures using suitable materials.
- Fitting and adjusting the partial dentures
- You will finally have a try-on appointment to check the fit and occlusion after placing the partial denture.
- Adjustments will be made until you are comfortable without the presence of any sore spots.
Partial dentures are removable appliances that help in teeth replacement. They not only add aesthetic value but also help restore your bite. This can enhance your overall quality of life by making eating and drinking easier and more comfortable. When taken care of properly by following good oral hygiene practices, partial dentures are worth it.